10 amazing scientific discoveries made in 2015!!
1. MEDICAL - A lab-made molecule that mimics an antibody from our immune system successfully keeps 4 monkeys free of HIV despite large doses, with human trials expected to begin soon.
2. ENERGY - Elon Musk announces the Powerwall battery system that allows consumers to store solar energy and can be used to create “smart microgrids” in an effort to change the way the world uses energy.
3. SPACE - New calculations show that billions of stars in the Milky Way have 1 to 3 planets in the habitable zone, making it possible that they possess liquid water and even life.
4. BIOLOGY - Moscow Sate University secures Russia’s largest-ever scientific grant to collect the DNA of every living and extinct creature for the world’s first database of its kind.
5. CHEMISTRY - Researchers create a genetically modified bacteria that can successfully bypass the biomass step and convert hydrogen into alcohol-based fuel.
6. MEDICAL - Scientists discover teixobatin, the first new antibiotic in 30 years, through a breakthrough method that used an electronic device to isolate antibiotic compounds in soil.
7. NEURO - Researchers create artificial neurons that function like human neurons and bypass damaged nerve cells to restore neural function.
8. MEDICAL - A new bionic lens is announced that will allow people to see 3 times better than 20/20 vision through a painless procedure as early as 2017.
9. NANOTECH - A new method for injecting nanoscale electronic scaffolds directly into the brain is developed to treat everything from neurodegenerative disorders to paralysis.
10. MATERIALS - A team in Italy succeeds in building a transistor from silicene - one atom-thick sheets of silicon - with properties that could revolutionise computing.