Win €100 in our 2016 Oscars competition!!
Hoping for OSCAR glory – and the winner is…
After months of speculation and predictions, the time when the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences will announce the winners is almost here. So, who in tinsel town will win one of those coveted Academy Awards .... an Oscar?
At the moment it looks as though there are no clear frontrunners, but the Oscar season is fluid and things do change. Here are a few who are tipped to win from the nominations.
Among the leading nominees for best actor is Leonardo DiCaprio for his starring role in the survivalist drama, The Revenant. Playing a frontiersman on a path of vengeance against those who left him for dead, it might just prove to be fifth time lucky for Mr DiCaprio. Although he is almost silent throughout the movie, it’s certainly a sterling performance and makes him a very strong contender.
Brie Larson is leading the pack as best actress for her portrayal of a mother held captive with her son for five years in the drama, Room. She is up against Alicia Vikander, who plays Gerda Wegener in The Danish Girl and her co-star Eddie Redmayne is also tipped for a win in the supporting actress category.
When it comes to best picture, the big money is on The Revenant with its stunning photography and ‘epic’ feel, but Spotlight and The Big Short could easily upset the favourite.
Read the following statement and decide if they are TRUE / FALSE / NOT GIVEN according to the text. (NOT GIVEN means the information cannot be found in the text)
1. There are several actors who are predicted to win best actor.
2. Leo DiCaprio’s character dies at the end of the film.
3. Leo DiCaprio doesn’t say anything in the film.
4. Leo DiCaprio’s performance is outstanding.
5. Brie Larson is likely to win the best actress award.
6. Alicia Vikander plays a Danish girl.
7. Spotlight is unlikely to win the best picture award.
8. In no more than 100 words, tell us which film you think should win the Oscar for best picture and why? (it doesn’t have to be one of the oscar nominations)
COMPETITION CLOSES 31 MARCH 2016